In its turbulent history, Galaxidi has seen many conquerors – Romans, Slavs, Franks, Knights of Rhodes and Ottoman Turks – but at some point managed to evolve into one of the largest naval forces in the Mediterranean, with its vessels sailing the seven seas. Galaxidi is a designated traditional settlement, and its long history is apparent at every step taken by the visitor.
In Kalafatis, the visitor can view the ruins of ancient Oianthi and tombs of the classical period.
Near the beach, one can see remnants of the ancient city wall, on the edge of which the tomb of Lokrou, believed to be an early Christian catacomb, is carved into a rock.
In Penteoria area, close to where the battle with the Turks took place in 1825, is found the so-called "palace of the King", an unexplored archaeological site with mosaics.
Galaxidi Naval Museum
All the rich maritime history of the town is housed in this renovated 19th century building. Paintings of sailing vessels, carved figureheads, nautical instruments, masts, photographs and prints, log-books and crew registers, 19th century weapons and the famous manuscript titled "The Chronicle of Galaxidi," written in 1703 by the monk Euthymius – all revealing the glory of Galaxidi.
Galaxidi Folk Art Museum
Galaxidi Folk Art Museum is housed in an old stately mansion and hosts objects connected with popular and contemporary culture. Visitors admire the magnificent building, and see collections of rare traditional costumes, embroidery, wefts and traditional utensils, and decorative items.
Church of Agios Nicholas
The majestic church of Agios Nicholas, guardian saint of seamen and patron saint of Galaxidi, dominates the hill above the settlement with its impressive dome and two bell towers. Built in Byzantine style, it was completed in 1902. Its iconostasis, which separates the nave from the sanctuary, depicts scenes from the Old and New Testament and is considered a masterpiece of the art of wood-carving.
Church of Agia Paraskevi
Next to the church of Agios Nicholas is the chapel of Agia Paraskevi, with a sweet, solemn atmosphere. The interior marble floor with its zodiac (quite rare for an Orthodox church), impresses visitors, while a unique sundial in the courtyard shows the time of the day by the position of the sun.
Monastery of the Transfiguration (Metamorphosis Sotiros)
Just outside Galaxidi, on the majestic hill of Agia Triada lies a Byzantine monastery, the Monastery of the Transfiguration. It was built by Despot of Epirus, Michael II (1210-1270) on top of the ruins of an ancient temple. During the earthquakes in 1580 and 1660 the cells and katholikon collapsed. Amidst those ruins Constantinos Sathas found the famous manuscript untitled "The Chronicle of Galaxidi." The monastery was partly restored in the 20th century with new cells and a dormitory added.